Sunday, September 22, 2013

Buy Handmade vol 74



This week we are in Kansas City..


Name: Rachel Ignotofsky
Age: 24
Occupation: Designer and Illustrator


Tell us a little about yourself.
A perfect day for my is a meatball in one hand for eating and a pen in the other for drawing. Since I was a little kid I have been drawing, watching cartoons and eat spaghetti all at the same time and making a bit of a mess while I do it. I was born and raised in New Jersey and then lived in Philadelphia while attending Tyler School of art for graphic design. I was hired right out of college by Hallmark Co. an now I am doodling my way through the beautiful Kansas City.

When did you start creating and how long have you been on Etsy?
I knew seriously that I wanted to be an artist since I was 14 but I have been drawing since I was old enough to destroy my mom's walls with a crayon. I have had my etsy store since May 1, 2013

How did you come up with your business name, is there any special meaning behind it?
My etsy shop name is my name but my logo is a little skull with it's brain exposed. One side is cyan and the other is magenta and I like the idea of using both sides of my brain to create my illustrations but really it feels more like I just open up my head and draw whatever comes out.

Has your Etsy shop become your full time job? If not, would you like it to be?
I feel like this is a trick question, who wouldn't want to draw whatever they wanted all day and get paid for it? I realized last year that I really wanted to hone my illustration skills and having an etsy store is a wonderful place for me to stretch those muscles.



How would you describe your creative process?
I go straight for the pens always. I draw in pen and ink and then I use the computer to add color and texture to create form.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I am inspired by the TV shows I grew up on: Pee-Wee’s Play HouseRen and Stimpy and many others. I love that moment in a cartoon where you zoom up on a very cute face…realize it’s gross and covered in pimples. I strive to capture that same duality in my work. It is very sweet and charming, but it also has an edge or story to it that makes you look twice. Sceince and History were my favorite subjects in school and a huge part of my interest and I love making work that is educational and fun.

Do you also sell your work at craft shows?
I am actually participating in my very first craft show on the Sept 28th called Hallmarket. Here is a link to the event for all the Kansas City folks: http://www.crowncenter.com/Event-List/hallmarket


• How long does it take you to prepare for a show? Do you have any special methods of getting ready?
I'll let you know when i figure that one out myself....

• Describe an experience from a show (good or bad) and why that pushes you to continue with your work 
Well I hope it is all good! 

What is your most cherished handmade item?
My grandmother gave me this incredibly intricate crewl that she had done before I left for Kansas City. The detail in it is incredible but it reminds me of one of my favorite people which really makes me happy.



Apart from creating things, what do you like to do?
Have I mentioned eating, cause that is a real sport for me. Fun fact about me: I don't know how to drive so going on long reflective walks... I hate to say that I like long walks on the beach but being land locked has really got me longing for one of those.

Was there ever any other job you dreamed of having growing up?
Honestly no, since I was super little I just wanted to draw all day. Although one time I got peer pressured into saying marine biologist in first grade.

Five years from now you will be…
Who knows! All I know is that I always want to be in a place where my art is what makes my living. Some one told me a while ago that there are two types of careers, one where your job supports what you want to do in life and the other is your job is what you want to do in life. I think realistically most artist have a mixture of both in their jobs but I am working hard to make the latter come true.



Describe yourself in five words:
where.is.the.cookie.buffet?

Carrying on with the five theme, if I were to turn on your <insert whatever type of music player you use here>, what five artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Well right now I am listening to Ready to Die album by The Notorious B.I.G. But before that it was... a bunch of podcast so here is my list: Blame by radiolab. How I got into college- this american life, The last two savagelove podcast. Sorry there wasn't more music!

Lastly, do you have any advice for anyone thinking about opening their own shop or participating in craft shows?
Don't doubt yourself and just get the work done and put it online. No one has ever achieved anything from just having a bunch of good ideas but never putting them down on paper or executing them. A good Idea finished is worth more  then a genius idea never executed